In 1642 King and Parliament were on the edge of war . Every man over 18 yrs was expected to take an oath of loyalty to Parliament and their names were written down. The very first ‘named’
In the next few months the village archivist , David Pope will be running a series of articles on ‘Gobson Common’ in The Hill. You will not find Gobson Common on any map today, it was renamed
Tom Hicks: “Bowlers Name?” Continued from last month.
The full chapter about Child Okeford can be
As mentioned last month the archive contribution for the next two months will be extracts from Tom Hicks’
In Days of Yore…
In 1641 a man named Arthur Freeman owned a dwelling house on the site of the current Baker Arms.Whether it was the current house cannot be known but we do know that it was owned
Okeford Otters Cycle Speedway Team
The Western Gazette announced in May 1952:
“Child Okeford Cycle Speedway.
The new cycle speedway track on the playing field was officially opened on the occasion of the first home match of the season, a Shaftesbury and District league match the visitors being
CHILD OKEFORD ARCHIVE
Child Okeford Parish Council Minutes: Roads and Traffic: Part 1
The Auxiliary Unit in the Second World War
In November’s article about the Home Guard we mentioned the “Auxiliary